Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

14 Sept. 2015 - Transfer to Nogales

So, I learned a really good lesson this week. Kinda humbling, kinda painful but a good lesson. I'll get to that in a minute.
First off I got transferred. I am now working in Nogales, Sonora. It's quite the change. I've got a bout 5 hours here but it seems awesome. First it's not hot. The breeze is refreshing instead of burning and I'm barely sweating. Second it's super hilly. No flat areas. I love it! Finally my area technically includes the US Mexico border so that's cool. From the top of a hill next to the apartment, we can see Arizona. My new companion is Elder Bolaina. He's super cool and I barely know him cause I met him 5 hours ago but more to come in weeks to come. I'd love to send pics of everything but that won't be happening this week due to technical difficulties. Oh well haha. 
This past week was really cool. We were able to go out with members almost every day of the week to do visits and that was awesome. Bishop took us to visit a less active  who needed to be visited. We went by and Rocky told us that he had been hoping someone would pass by that week and that he wanted to come back to church. That was probably one of he coolest experiences of the week. 
Here's a lesson I got to learn. Two months ago a member gave us a reference to go visit. We stopped by several times and never found him. So we kinda forgot about it. Last week Hermano Gurrla calls us and asks why we hadn't stopped by and tells us that he set it up or us to go there at 7pm that day. So we go knock and same deal. No body was home and then suddenly in the apartment next door a guy came out and was like come in come in! He was Alejandro, the reference. We had an amazing lesson with him and it turns out he wants to get baptized asap. Later that night we got transfer calls and both me and my companion left for other places. It was a lesson to me because honestly, we should have found Alejandro months ago. We should have asked the neighbors if the knew an Alejandro but we didn't. We should have verified with Hermano Gurrola but we didn't. We let it slide. The Lord had prepared someone for us and we just weren't as diligent as we should have been. I know he will be in good hands and those that now teach him will be great, but it was a bit of a reminder to me to be diligent and really put in my best efforts. Now I just need to find the people here in Nogales that are prepared and ready. 
The true highlight of the week came Sunday. The mexico city temple was rededicated and instead of regular sacrament meeting it was broadcast by satelite and we got to see that. It was so so so amazing. there were three separate sessions and we went to all three. Each session was just a little different. I think my favorite talk was from Elder Holland in the second session. He spoke about the scripture in Malachi 4:5-6 (also found in D&C 2, 3rd Nephi and JSH). section 2 cites it as follows:

 1 Behold, I will reveal unto you the Priesthood, by the hand of Elijah the prophet, before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord.

 2 And he shall plant in the hearts of the children the promises made to the fathers, and the hearts of the children shall turn to their fathers.

 3 If it were not so, the whole earth would be utterly wasted at his coming.

He talked about how people have been waiting for Elijah for many many years, the Jews have been waiting for over 3,000. On the day of the Passover feast in April, few years after the church was restored. Elijah came. As Elder Holland says, probably one of the most important events of the worlds history considering that if he had not come, the earth would be wasted. We have been born in a time where the fullness of the gospel is restored. Including the sealing ordinances and vicarious work. Not everyone has had that chance. But we do and as vs. 2 states. we made promises to do the work of our ancestors. We promised before our time here to find and do everything possible to save them all. We are blessed with that great opportunity and responsibility. We need to do our part. We so promised.

It was a fantastic week and I hope it was for you all too! Love you tons and keep up the awesome awesome work you do! Do something unexpected and fun this week!
Love forever,
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment