Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2015

23 July 2015

So this has been one of the most amazing weeks ever. Like get a comfy seat y'all cause I'm about to get started. 
So to start it all off,i  got to have interviews with the new mission president here and that was just a great time. Before it was my turn I was waiting in the offices and chilling when I noticed La Hermana Robbinson sitting by herself trying to learn Spanish. I realized that no one in the room spoke English except me at the time so I decided to go talk to her. Perhaps I killed her study time, haha, but I had a really nice conversation with her. She's amazing just saying. She reminds me a lot of my own mom. She has a son serving in Japan right now who as chance would have it, entered the MTC the exact same day that I did, so there's a very slim chance that i saw her drop off her son or saw her son there. I like to think that that happened so I can claim that I knew them first of all the mission haha. We were talking and she was telling me how crazy everything is in life. Learning Spanish, home things, all that but then we talked about one of my favorite scriptures from the sermon on the mount. 

25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

 26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

 30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

 34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

I love the message there and its so applicable to life. We are full of stresses and struggles. We have more than we can handle on our plate every day. We have no clue what tomorrow will bring but He knows. If we just stop worrying and put our faith and trust in the hand of the Lord. it's all okay. Tomorrow will come and we will love it because God has prepared us and we trust Him. He will clothe us, feed us, love us, teach us, and care for us in every way. Worry is for those who don't understand the plan of God. For those who aren't ready to see Him. so if you're worrying do what you need to to be the clean and ready person God needs you to be, then stop worrying and just love life for all its beauty.
After talking with Sister Robbinson for a bit she was needed by the assistants and after talking another five minutes President called me to the interview. President is amazing. one of the most loving people I've ever met in my life. He taught me about the importance of love. How we truly need to follow the commandment to love first God and then everyone else. When we truly love everyone, things work out better, we are happier, and well, life's just good.

Then saturday I got to baptize. It was so so nice. the joy you feel when you help someone enter the waters of baptism cannot be aptly described. But it's amazing. 

From left to right. Elder Hernandez, Hermano Héctor, me, Juan
in front. Some kid who wanted to join the pic and Luis

It was so awesome. Luis´ Mom invited tons of family and what not so we had to hold the talks and hymns in the chapel. In the service as well us missionaries sang "Hark All Ye Nations" and I got to solo the first verse so that was fun too.

The baptisms were awesome I really enjoyed it. I got to baptize Juan and his mom was able to come, even though she didn't want him to get baptized it was good that she could be there. It had a certain tinge of a catholic style baptism haha because the mom of Luis put up a whole refreshment table for afterwards with pepihuates and cupcakes and such things. So you all know pepihuates are deliciusly amazing. They're japanese peanuts (peanuts covered in a flour based shell) in a cup with diced cucumber on top. You pour on some tomato/clam juice some chamoy and hot sauce. Add in some chile dusted tamarind and wahlah. good stufff. But the whole thing looked straight up like a wedding reception haha. It was awesome and everyone had a great time.


We're working hard to keep the work moving here.
Benjamín is amazing to talk to. He is just open to giving it a shot. We are teaching him with his whole family. He's the only non member though and its really a good experience for all.
Consuelo and her kids are great as well, unforturnately she got sick and we couldn't see her much last week but this week should be awesome. They all are reading and praying and basically being awesome in all ways shapes and forms.


also found a super cool dog this week

We are now allowed to knock on doors and tract. (before it was pure street contacting and references) so we are trying to learn how to do that so its kinda fun. so far no one has slammed the door so that's good haha. (although it has happened several times before while looking for references etc) any good ideas are welcome haha


Also in the baptism, another awesome thing. IT RAINED AGAIN. I was changing in the bathroom just afterwards and thunder cracked so loud and so fierce. It shook the whole building. IT WAS AMAZING. It was the best thing that could've happened. I love rain so much and thunderstorms even more even though it only lasted an hourish I felt like someone was pleased with my efforts. It was a really really good day.


also selfie with Bishop Muñoz


I found a great backpak today as well. 10/10 would reccommend for the mission haha




Inline image 5
Oh and then Sunday in the third hour Presidente Montes was giving the lesson in Elders Quorum and said something i feel like parents would like haha. 
He talked about the gratitude he felt for his parents and the help they gave him in being obedient. He told us of a time when he told his mom he was sick of all the rules and told here to basically "stop choking me!". His mom responded. "If you were falling off a cliff, I don't think you would care how tightly i was holding you. I just don't want you to fall." Sometimes we feel like the commandments or the rules or whatever are too strict, that we just can't, myself included obviously, but there's someone that just doesn't want us to fall and He´s stretching out and grabbing us tight so we don't fall. The rules are for our good. It's something really hard to learn and even harder to apply but the blessings of obedience out weigh any momentary happiness you may feel with eternal joy. As Presidente Monte´s Dad told him as he was deciding between a full ride scholarship and the mission. "Is what your choosing helping you prepare for an eternal family?" Keep being amazing all of you. keep being happy. Don't worry and just have faith. Life's good and even better when we are obedient and choose the right. It's been an awesome time here in Mexico and I hope it's been the same to you all. Have the best week of your life and I'll talk to you all soon!
Love forever,
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment